£36,501 – £39,021 pa, plus excellent benefits
Closing date: Thursday 22nd December 2016 at 11.30 pm
We’re looking for an accomplished Solicitor or equivalent to deliver a specialist legal casework service in housing law, to represent homeless people or people in housing need.
If you want to experience housing litigation at the cutting edge including stopping evictions, dealing with disrepair and illegal eviction and challenging public authorities to deliver their duties to the homeless, consider a move to Shelter. We provide the ideal environment in which to develop the expertise to deliver a specialist legal casework service in housing law.
Benefits include 30 days annual leave, the possibility of flexible working and significant opportunities for learning and development.
Your key responsibilities:
- Provide a specialist legal casework service in housing law
- Maintain an active caseload which involves litigation to enable those who are in housing need, including those who are homeless, to enforce their legal rights and challenge the limits of the law
- Provide technical supervision and line management to others
- Provide consultancy work as required
- Ensure funding is maximised on each case
- Carry out court representation including at Housing Duty Possession Schemes
- Ensure all work meets the contractual requirements of the Legal Aid Agency and any other funder
- Support the development of Shelter’s policy and legislative responses and provide training to staff on housing law and court procedure.
Preference will be given for candidates with:
- Recent experience of housing litigation including representation in court on behalf of homeless people or people in housing need
- Sound knowledge of legal aid work, including legal representation and legal help
- A demonstrable record of meeting financial targets
- Substantial experience of handling a wide range of housing cases (public and private sector)
- A proactive, creative and innovative approach and the ability to lead change and improve performance
- A real client focus, excellent relationship building, networking and influencing skills, lots of integrity and a genuine respect for other people’s opinions.
Shelter is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of clients, in particular children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff, workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
At Shelter, we welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. We are facing diverse problems, so need diverse people to tackle them.
Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services. And we campaign to make sure that, one day, no one will have to turn to us for help.
We’re here so no one has to fight bad housing or homelessness on their own.
Shelter does not accept unsolicited CVs from external recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.
Housing/Community Care Solicitor and Paralegal Vacancy
Our continued expansion of the social welfare department provides two more opportunities to join our team of renowned lawyers, who thrive on delivering access to justice across all fields of social welfare. Supported by our colleagues in family, crime and mental health law, we offer holistic “outside the box” advice to our client base.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a pioneering legal aid team at a time of growth; this is our second recruitment round in 2016. The vacancy is for 1 solicitor and 1 paralegal to be based at any one of our London offices, located at The Albany performing arts centre Deptford, Clapham Junction, Seven Sisters and Whitechapel.
Our staff are without doubt our best asset and we reward performance, provide flexible working practices and positively encourage every individual’s contribution as to how we deliver services.
Market leaders in legal sector IT infrastructure systems and billing, we offer excellent support and training opportunities acknowledged in our Lexcel accreditation and Investors in People awards.
We need a solicitor preferably in the range of 0-3 years’ PQE but are flexible subject to your talents. As a paralegal, you will need to share our passion for access to justice and have had some experience of working within an organisation delivering social welfare advice.
Experience in advising clients on all areas of homelessness, defending possession proceedings, community care law advantageous.
Hours – 9.30am – 5.30pm Mon – Fri.
Salary for the paralegal position £19,000. For the solicitor subject to experience.
23 days annual leave.
Starting date for the paralegal position is 01 02 17.
For further information and to request our application pack please email Christine.email@example.com or visit http://www.tvedwards.com/site/careers/opportunities. and complete our application form. Please note we will not process any applications where a TV Edwards application form is not completed.
Completed applications together with equality monitoring data must be sent by email to: Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Midnight 4 December 2016